July 20, 2008

I've really been pondering what Teddy said...


"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
~ Theodore Roosevelt 1907 ~
I look at this picture and I wonder about my own ancestry. Any one of these people could be my relatives from across the pond.
Were they proud of their heritage? Unbelievably so.
Did they come to this country to find a better future for their families? Absolutely.
Did they accomplish their goals? Amazingly so.
Did they forget their proud heritages? Absolutely not.
Did hundreds of heritages melt together to become One Nation? Undeniably so.
What's changed? Why can't we continue down that path? Did it suddenly stop working? Is it not what makes America, America?
I was taught what made America so great a nation was the fact, that in essence, it was formed from all the greatest nations in the world that became one - united together.
I have been reading through and studying all the history material for the upcoming school year. It has really had me thinking about our nation.
Where we came from.
Where we are now.
Where we're going.
Where are we going?
That's the question that keeps swirling around in my head.
What do you think?
Love Note to my Big Shooter: Thank you for suggesting, encouraging, and supporting Sovereignty School (That's what we call our homeschool.) And most of all, for lifting me up when I am down for the count - those times lesson plans, laundry, cleaning, JBF, appointments and life start to blur and I need lifted out of the chaos. You timing is always impeccable. Thanks.

7 comments:

FerLee said...

Man...this is something I'll have to think on. Where are we going? I keep hoping that we'll remember our roots. I keep hoping that our brothers & sisters in Christ will remember what was lost for the sake of our freedom. I keep hoping that we'll stand for what is RIGHT and not get caught up in what society thinks is right. I keep hoping that we'll get back to those roots.

Sometimes I think that nothing will be set to right again until Christ returns for us. Is that wrong? I don't know. I know prayer works...but I also know the times we live in. I seriously think about this from time to time and as of yet haven't come up with any great answers.

I know prayer works...I know the Bible says to pray for our nation, our leaders that "that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior..." (1 Tim 2:2b-3) This is what I hold onto.

Thank you for reminding me that I do need to keep our nation and leaders...and potential leaders...in my prayers.

Flea said...

Mmm. Don't even get me started. You quote well, dear.

~ Straight Shooter ~ said...

Ferlee, amen. The Shooters pray each night for our country. "God bless America" is a simple sentence, but a holy one in our house.
Flea my friend, I would love to take credit for finding this quote but, alas, I can not. Soul Sister not only knows the state of my soul, but my heart too. She sent this to me knowing it would be a bulls-eye. She's clever and insightful like that.
To my Grandpa Bozo, thank you for telling me, reminding me, and teaching me I lived in the "greatest country in the whole damned world". I believe I love her so because of what you said over and over so many years ago.

Rudy said...

Oh sister friend....sore subject for me..illegals must go! My mom along with her sisters and parents came to America in the 20's on a ship from Germany. My grandparents learned the language, took all the tests and became US citizens and were PROUD to be AMERICANS, moved to Chicago and Grandpa worked in the meat plant(The Jungle Book by Upton Sinclair described the horrid conditions). That is how things should have remained! You want to live here, you become a citizen, speak our language, fly our flag, follow our laws.....sorry, I could go on and on. We need Teddy!

ShEiLa said...

I agree with Teddy too. He said it perfectly and I need not add to it.
I also agree with Pat... if you are here illegally you need to go.
If you want to be an American and live in America... be prepared to speak english and have respect for the American flag.
ToOdLes,ShEiLA

Rachel said...

Thanks for the compliments on the blog design. It took me forever to get it the way I wanted it, but I can't take credit for creating it. I found it on another blog, maybe www.bloggerbuster.com?

Do you know which Cheney your cousin married? There are a bunch of Cheneys in Idaho. I only know of a few that are related to us in Idaho Falls.

Anonymous said...

Bwaahahahha! Awesome. xoxvintage wedding dresses. pumps christian louboutin.