August 8, 2008

One World One Dream

That's the theme for these Games.
The Games that begin in a few short hours.
Woohoo!
That's right boys and girls, the moment is almost upon us!
In a few short hours this extremely unique venue will begin a transformation...to this...and then this. It is the National Stadium.
It's been nicknamed The Birds Nest.
It's where we'll be watching the Opening Ceremonies take place.
In a few short hours.
It's where we'll hear the Athletes take this Olympic Oath:

"In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams."
According to Google(ish), "The Olympic Oath is taken by one athlete and one judge from the home nation during the Opening Ceremony of every Olympics, acting on behalf of all the competitors and judges. Since 1984, this has been taken while holding a corner of the Olympic flag. Until then, the national flag of the home nation was used."

After that this little button will be my motto, mantra, symbol or lucky charm. Take your pick.



I made it to share. If you'd like. I am most definitely NOT tech suave, so if you'd like to put it on your blog you'll just have to save it to your 'puter as a pic then upload it to your blog manually. I don't know how to make all that fancy-dancy code crap work correctly. Sorry. but it will be fun to see it on other blogs. Be proud. Tell Bloggsville you're helping the world be a better place for a couple weeks!

That and I'm giving a dozen beautiful United States of America flags away during the games and if you put this little button on your blog (Or emails, if you're a full blown tech geek. And if you are a tech geek, I'm insanely jealous.) then you get your name entered twice each day you leave a comment!

So let others know you're proud of our young Olympic Champions with the button. And then come on back to comment each day to increase your chances of winning a Beauty like this...


Like Faroutmom (congrats, Girl Child did the drawing tonight. very serious stuff - drawing a winner.) just did for reading to the end of another certain looong post! I'll be sending it tomorrow, along with Ah's and Andrea's Godiva!

This next part of the post really has nothing to do with anything in particular. (Like that's a shocker to anyone? Don't. Don't say a word Dad.) I have always just loved seeing all the very cool venues. So I thought we'd look at a couple more before I answer y'all's #1 question.


This is the National Indoor Stadium. I could not find any good indoor pics to share. This building is amazing. Go here to read about it's construction and see it's interior. It is a very green building in the sense it is extremely environmentally friendly. I personally, would love to go there some time just to tour it. Silly. I know. Sue me.

Remember that Fave Child the Shooter fam has? Swimming. Well this would be the inside of the National Aquatics Center. May I point out two things here? First, look how small the two people look on the other side of the pool. And second, look at that way cool ceiling. Look like bubbles?

That's because at night they are...That has got to be an awesome sight at night! Look how tiny the doors look.

If you and I share this weird obsession about the venues, look no further. I have the link at your fingertips: Beijing Olympic Venues Enjoy!

Which leaves me at the end. Which also leaves me humbly answering this question:

"You are nuts about this. Do you have a favorite? How hard is it to choose? C'mon, what's your absolute favorite thing about the Olympics?"

Guess what y'all?

I didn't have to think, ponder, weigh any choices or choose between anything.

It is hands down, hearing this...

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

~The Star Spangled Banner ~

Lyrics By Francis Scott Key 1814

It never fails to move me.


Touch me to the core.

Cause unabashed tears to stream down my cheeks.

Never.

It's America, y'all.

The land that I love.


Love Note to my Big Shooter: Do you remember the Olympics were split for the first time the year we were hitched? I remember a moment of complete silence and utter awe in our little tiny apartment when the paralympic dude shot the arrow through the night to light the cauldron during the Barcelona Opening Ceremonies. Then I remember lots of loud hooting and hollerin'. I remember us thinking the extra 2 year wait for the '94 Winter Games was so worth it as we stayed up til all hours of the night watching whatever CBS had to offer. Those were the Drama Games remember? Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerigan calling Disney World "stupid", Dan Johnson finally sobbing his way to a gold, Torvill and Dean doing their thing (I still don't get that kind of skating btw), and our All-Time Faves - Tommy Moe & our good ole fellow Idahoan Picabo Street!
Now our Crumb Snatchers are finally at the perfect age to remember and make Olympic memories with. Can you believe it? Who'd a thunk it way back then?
I can hardly stand to wait another dad gum minute!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I can't believe I remembered all those gold medal winners you mentioned in your love note. We watched every one of those- we were ESPECIALLY into the ice skating & saw the whole Tanya Harding drama! You have TOTALLY made me anxious for these games to begin!

faroutmom said...

Thanks for the flag. I am so excited! The kids are excited too. They said "we can do the Pledge of Allegiance as soon as it gets here." I can't think of anything better to do than that.

Maybe you and your kids can take the Pledge with it before it leaves your house?

Shauna said...

You are not even playing around with this olympics thing. Its getting me all excited about it!!! I am about to grab the button and everything!!!

faroutmom said...

I totally grabbed your button. Thanks for it. I love it. Good job with it.

Heasleye said...

Woohoo! Love the Olympic enthusiasm! I'm just as fascinated in the venues. Great post! What I don't look forward to is the certain letdown I will experience when the games are over. But for now, we will soak them up!

Elaine
http://www.heasley.net/eblog/

ShEiLa said...

I love the button you designed and it is on my blog. I have a charged excitement for the Olympic games this year... thanks to you... the Bloggy Olympic Guru. Love the night bubbles picture of the aquatics center. WOW!
ToOdLeS,ShEiLA

Christine said...

I.
Can't.
Wait.

You are awesome. I'm going to send my boys over to Olympic School at your house.

FerLee said...

I have the button...check it out on the blog!!! We're sitting here watching opening ceremonies right now. There are many people in lit suits running in formations...so now you know I'm not just faking it!!!!! Now it's a bird's nest with a kite flying over with a girl hanging on the end flying it!!!

Gordostyle said...

Thanks again for "getting me in the mood" for the Olympics! :o)

Smiles,
Jen

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Seriously, your excitement is contagious!!

I think the swimming is my favorite. I love that it comes down to fractions of a second at times.

That building is beyond spectacular...

-Andrea