August 9, 2008

I am speechless.

I don't even know where to start. Do you?
The 2,000 ancient drums? That were discovered 3 years ago.
The Gi-nor-mous surround screen?
The whatever, cool thing on the ground?
The perfectly synchronized martial arts guys?
The unbelievably cool Bird's Nest?
The rich culture? The strong beliefs?
The sheer size of the whole gig?

How about our flag bearer? A Sudanese refugee?
How about our Prez and First Lady sitting in General Admission seating.
How about the cheerleaders that cheered for all the athletes for 2 solid hours?
How about 7' 6in. Yao Ming and the little Survivor? Pass the Kleenex please!

They made a fantastic first impression
They are a proud nation. For good reason.
They will be unbeatable when it comes to Opening Ceremonies.
They seem to be trying to reach across The Wall.

Our little family's celebration and games for tonight was loud, obnoxious, fun, and perfect.
Tomorrow they start.
And - We can't wait.
Let the Games begin.

Love Note to my Big Shooter: I love our re-caps of the day almost as much as I love to hear Bob Costas's re-caps from the day as well.

Gotta skee-doodle. Sleep is calling my name right now.

G'night.

8 comments:

Fawn said...

My fave part was the boxes representing the wind. It was cool when I thought it was computerized--to find out it was done by people...holy moly!

Thank goodness nothing bad happened. I've been scared and still sort of am holding my breath.

Anonymous said...

Nice recap...Granny M and I will have to catch the "Opening" on the rebound...weren't aware it was on last night...nothing about it here in the hills?...we were having sushi at the local sushi house...
Oh, made some "Killer Chili" before we went to dinner, for the annual Chili Throwdown which is tonight...Iliana says, hi!, it's being held at her house this year. PS She drove the truck over here, stick shift...Iliana is very impressive, barrowed 70 cloth folding chairs and all five party tents...loaded the chairs herself...I may have to trade trophy wives!
Lovies
Dad

Rudy said...

It was fabulous! That little earthquake survivor was the cutest thing ever and his story of how he went back to get 2 of his classmates because he was the hall monitor and it was his job---oh my goodness! The cubes on the floor, the torch lighting, the colorful costumes...glad I taped it so I can watch some of it again :)

FerLee said...

Lighting the torch...that was AWESOME!!!!

~ Straight Shooter ~ said...

I forgot about the boxes!
Holy Cow!
They were UBER COOL!
How about the calligraphy dancers?
And the fireworks display...can you imagine being there? Seeing, hearing and FEELING the moments.
And the caldron being lit.
(sigh)
The Games are finally here...

Gordostyle said...

I caught the last 45 minutes or so and I loved it! Super cool! That little guy - one of the school survivors - tugged away at my heart strings!!!!! UGH!

Have fun watching!

Smiles,
Jen

ShEiLa said...

I was awestruck too... I was the only one in my family that stayed up (for most of it) I watched a couple hours by myself. In my hubby's defense he had to be at work in the wee hours this morning... but he watched what he could with me. I linked the button you designed to your website and it announces to everybody that you passed the Olympic torch to me. Thank you once again. Weren't the opening ceremonies FANTASTIC???!!!
I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. ToOdLeS,ShEiLA

ShEiLa said...

check your e.mail for the help you requested...
ToOdLeS,ShEiLA