September 5, 2008

EDITED VERSION: of oxtail, snails, or insects

I received several personal emails pointing out I did not do the meme correctly. Apparently, when I am tired I skip steps. Like c. So now I have italicized and added d. (which is comments besides certain foods).
I visited my lovely friend FaroutMom to see what was up in her life and instead found out she'd eaten some Farout food in her life. Then I realized, so had I. Some of it YUM and some of it SICK! How about you? If you decide to post this little meme, please leave me a comment so I can read it too please. I'm very interested (nosy) like that.

a. Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
b. Bold all the items you’ve eaten. (I made them red so you could see them)
c. Cross out or italicize any items that you would never consider eating.

1. Venison -miss this VERY much.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros -can't stand it, but love, love huevos con chorizo!
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile/alligator -once
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue -comey see, comey saw
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. baba ghanous
11. Calamari - the more tenacles the better for Girl Child
12. pho
13. PB&J sandwich - I miss these...
14. Aloo gobi
15. hot dog from a street cart - Prego with Boy Child and didn't know yet (NYC)
16. Epoisses (I don’t know - sounds like stinky cheese)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - eww.
19. Steamed pork buns - eww, again.
20. Pistachio ice cream - double eww. I hate pistachios.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - yum.
22. Fresh wild berries - double yum. reminds me of stealing all of granny grunts berries each summer.
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans - seriously, i could live on spanish rice and refried beans...w/ salsa
25. Brawn, or head cheese - couldn't pay me enough to try this...
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters - prefer steamed clams
29. Baklava - doesn't really float my boat, know what I mean?
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas - great snack
32. Clam chowder - one of my fave memories was eating clam chowder in an original chowder house in Boston with Big Shooter in the middle of a snow storm...he was so big and tall he could barely fit at the table. He kept saying, "I wonder who has sat right where I'm at?"
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut - ate this for breakfast every morning I was prego with boy child.
35. Root beer float - brings back fond childhood memories of a particular drive-in my momma would take me to out of the blue.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea - just the sound of clotted cream makes my gag reflex work overtime!
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo - gr-o-ss
40. Oxtail - do I really need an explanation?
41. Curried goat - hate curried anything
42. Whole insect- boy child ate a grasshopper at camp last year. Amazing, since I can't get him to try anything new around here without threatening a famine...
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk - didn't know or would have gagged
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/€80/$120 or more
46. Fugu Fugu to eating blowfish!
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel - I really, really like sushi.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - Doesn't hold a candle to a Merritt's glazed twist.
50. Sea urchin - did I mention I liked sushi?
51. Prickly pear - not on purpose, glad I did.
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - special sauce is disgusting.
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips - my mind can't be fooled, it's not the real deal. Chocolate is chocolate.
61. S’mores - I miss camping every weekend...
62. Sweetbread - do you know what's really in this stuff?
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs - you know what I'm gonna say right? "Tastes like chicken."
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears, and funnel cake - it's getting near our annual elephant ears at the fair! Yum!
68. Haggis - gag
69. Fried plantain - once. kinda plain.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - uh, not ever again.
71. Gazpacho - would eat it all summer if I could.
72. Caviar and blini - caviar ~ okay, salty. now tarramusalatta (probably incorrect spelling) on the other hand, that fish roe is one of my all-time favorite foods. ever.
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill - for some reason this made me think of my most precious of friends Soul Sister and the Turtle Soup!
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - thank goodness we are doing gluten-free in this house now!
78. Snail - my father has no idea how close he came to seeing projectile vomiting in a 5 ***** restraunt!
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini - wish I had one now...
81. Tom yum - the name reminds me of something my Granny Grunt would name a dish made up of an old, tough turkey
82. Eggs Benedict - Big Shooter loves, loves, loves this dish.
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef - tasted the same as the side of beef we buy from Sashi's hubby Taco Bandito each spring...
86. Hare - my mom and her friend Bev have no idea how close they came to seeing projectile vomiting in a truck stop cafe in Burley, Idaho.
87. Goulash - one of my comfort foods to this day. Thanks mom.
88. Flowers - Girl Child thinks this is the coolest idea since sliced bread.
89. Horse - If you count paste then maybe I have already eaten horse...?
90. Criollo chocolate - sounds too like the coffee beans that get eaten by the tree cats, then pooped out, then sold for like a kazillion $$ a pound...eww.
91. Spam - tried it for the first time when I was 37. not too bad for campin'...in a pinch.
92. Soft shell crab - maybe I expected too much?
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish - didn't like any fish until my noodlin' neighbor fixed me some in her special "family secret" way. I was suppose to share a heaping hot plate with Big Shooter that she brought down to me fresh outta the pan...he got one little taste. We've never had it taste as good since she moved back to the sticks.
95. Mole poblano - yum. I love roasted poblanoes.
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta - Big Shooter decided this is what he wanted to contribute to our Supper Club Mexican Fiesta night. I wonder if that's how/why we got banned?
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - sounds too much like the tree cat thing again...
100. Snake - uh, no.

How about you? Remember to let me know if you post on this!
Have a fabulous weekend Friends.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi...we are back from the Cape and Hanna is here!!!!!
Yes I have eaten 92 items of the list...Humm...$120.00 Scotch ...you know the answer to that one...could float a boat! And let me caution other s...Scotch Bonnet Peppers..if you want to try one...put your ITune ear buds in place have "Light Up My Life" playing and take a tiny, tiny nibble...yes ..you will see Jesus! But returning last night we grabbed from the fridge what was on hand and experience a new adventure. There was ma-kins for salad and left over steak we regularly prepare for the our dog, Miss Montana,...you guest it...salad with dog food!
Lovies
Dad

Flea said...

What's that Krispy Kreme donut doing in there? Now I'm going to have to go out and get one. Thanks. ;)

I think I'd rather just write a post on the weird things I've eaten in my Cajun life. In fact, the Hunny and I were talking about that just this week. How odd.

Rudy said...

Wow, I'm impressed you tried so many different items. I have what you would call a bad gag reflux so to save embarrassment I just pass :)

Sara said...

What?? You have never had a Big Mac Meal?? And you didn't cross out whole insects?? Yeck!

ShEiLa said...

This post definitely got me thinking... I am NOT an adventurous eater (unless you count Mickey-Dees). I did post this meme on my blog... so you can see how safe I live.
ToOdLeS.

Anonymous said...

Don't know how to do what you said so here are the ones for me 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, 15, 20, 21, 24, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 39, 40, 42, 44, 48, 49, 50, 51, 53, 55, 60, 61, 62, 66, 67, 69, 70, 71, 72, 75,77, 78, 82, 86, 87, 88, 91, 92, 94, 96 Lox and Bagles is my FAVORITE food!!!, 100. Soul Sis
See you in a couple of days, oh my...

Unknown said...

Not sure what this says about me that about the only ones I can say I have had is pb&g and hostess fruit pie. That was my lunch all my school days!

Shawna said...

Thanks for the free bakery advertising :) I've already lost one customer because of my political rantings, but since we NEED the Shooter family business, I'll try to keep my mouth shut!

faroutmom said...

Sorry, S.A. but no amount of political ranting can keep us from your bakery when we are in town. Whoever did that is just torturing themselves.

Anonymous said...

I love lists and I know my readers (friends since "my readers" are all my friends and relatives) :) will love it too. So, I'm definitely going to put it my next blog. Thanks! I've never seen this one before and your answers made me laugh. We love your site, thank you! Oh, by the way, I've eaten most of the selections, excluding many of the ones that I simply couldn't use "hooked on phonics" to decipher. haha